The right samarium cobalt magnet for your application
Samarium cobalt is a stable magnet alloy that is often used in technically high-quality products, such as motors, sensors, electromagnets, instruments and implants. The high magnetic force and unique temperature stability make this alloy efficient and reliable when applied at extremely low and high temperatures.
SmCo magnets have the highest available magnetic energy density after neodymium, with a BHmax value ranging from 16 to 32 MGOe. This magnet alloy is therefore ideal for applications where a lot of heat is released, but a strong magnetic force is still required. We see this alloy often in the automotive, aerospace, defence and medical industries. Goudsmit offers an extensive range of samarium cobalt magnets. In this way, we always deliver a suitable magnet according to your needs.
Steps to find the right magnet:
- Select the type of magnet you are looking for
- Request a non-binding quote
- Enter additional information in the comments field
- Send your request for quote
- Our advisers will process your request and contact you.
Alternatively, contact us directly using our contact form.
Samarium cobalt magnet grades
Samarium cobalt magnets are anti-isotropic. We distinguish 2 types: SmCo 1:5 and SmCo 2:17. The composition of these types of magnet differs, and with it the maximum working temperature, energy density and price. The values are higher for magnets with a composition of SmCo 2:17.
The different grades are available from S16 to S32. Each with unique magnetic properties such as Br energy product, HcJ resistance to demagnetization and temperature resistance.
Click on the above magnets or download here the specification sheet of your desired magnet grade. Alternatively, contact our technical specialists who will help you choose the right magnet for your application.
The right coating for protection and manufacturability
SmCo magnets do not need a coating to prevent oxidation or rusting because they contain hardly any iron. Coatings do help against splintering and crumbling of this brittle material, for instance during assembly. Another reason for coating them is to provide protection against an acidic environment. Download our free magnet coating selection table.
We are happy to advise you on the choice of coating. Our magnet experts are at your service. Simply ask your questions by filling in the contact form.
More than just a magnet
The possibilities of magnet technology are endless, but the application can be complex. Goudsmit has more than 60 years of experience in the world of magnetism and is happy to help you with advice and a range of services:
- FEM simulation & magnet calculations: gain quick insight into the operation of your design.
- Prototyping & samples: tangible magnet technology based on your requirements.
- Engineering: development of magnet assemblies and components.
- Quality control: critical properties tested and validated in our own measurement lab.
- Certification: ISO9001, IATF16949 or AS9120 for your industry.
- Stock management service: delivery of your magnets on demand through our modern warehouse.
Look here for the product key coding of permanent magnets.
Our magnet experts are at your service. Please ask your questions by filling in the contact form.